Friday, March 6, 2009

Louisa Brindley

Louisa Brindley is the daughter of Thomas Brindley and Mary Williams. She was born on 12 Dec 1807 in Wolverhampton, England. Around the year 1826, she was married to Henry Hill. Together they had 8 children:

Thomas Arthur Hill
Born: 27 Dec 1827

Louisa Hill
Born: 20 Oct 1829
Married Name: Jones

Henry Hill
Born: 23 Nov 1831

Mary Ann Hill
Born: 9 Sep 1833

Elizabeth Brindley Hill
Born: 29 Jul 1835
Married Name: Greenwell

Margaret Harriet Hill
Born: Abt 1838

Anne Hill
Born: 15 Sep 1840
Married Name: Dinwoodey

Eliza Hill
Born: 5 Jul 1842

Louisa died on 10 Nov 1880 in Salt Lake City, Salt Lake, Utah. The following is a copy of a brief biography that I received from my grandpa about Louisa:



Copy of a record of Annie Hill Jordan, Ogden, Utah 28 March 1958 by Violet Hill McKay

Louisa Brindley Hill was born at Wolverhampton, Staffordshire, England, 12 December 1807. She married Henry Hill of the same place. My husband died at the age of 41 years leaving me with seven living children and one born 3 months later. I had no means of support so with the help of my good children worked very hard for our living. In 1849 we were baptized into the L.D.S. Church. My children were sent one by one with converts to America. My fifth child Elizabeth married Ambrose Greenwell and on 4 November 1854 sailed on the ship Tana Wanda for America. They arrived in philadelphia 28 Dec 1854 for 4 and one half years earning enough money to emigrate to Utah. They left Florence 8 May 1859 in Captain James Brown independent company arriving in Salt Lake City 28 August 1859, walking 900 miles across the plains.

Elizabeth walked the entire distance was a baby 2 days old. Annie married Henry Dinwoody, pioneer furniture merchant of Salt Lake City. 27 December 1861 Elizabeth and her husband came to Ogden, settled in West Weber then moved to Ogden, became a butcher in Ogden.

Through the goodness of their two children my immigration money was raised and I came to America landing in Salt Lake City in 1865. Lived in Seventh Ward with Bishop Thorne at the head. I made my home with my daughter Anne and her good husband. They were good to me. These 2 children paid for 19 of the family to immigrate to Utah.

Louisa Brindley Hill died 30 November 1880 in Salt Lake City. Her life was one of love and kindness. She dearly loved her children and grandchildren. She was sealed to her husband 6 October 1896 in Salt lake Temple.

No comments: